Friday, August 15, 2008

Proactive method of Continuous Adult Learning

Looking at my past performance I always wonder because of the learning pattern formed in my life. The pattern used to have continuous crests and troughs. Ideally people used to think the learning curve to grow exponentially with a steep growth in the young age. As age progresses the line tend to grow flat. This means that general expectation is that people learn a lot of things during the childhood. It is not to deny that people are not learning at old age. People do learn even in adult age but due to the gathered knowledge, theoretically speaking the learning seems to be slow.

Coming back to my own case I mentioned that I have seen crests and troughs time and again in my performance graph. Does this mean I am not learning continuously? No it was not the message I meant. What I meant is that my assimilation of subject knowledge tend to deviate from what I indent to do in my classroom studies. I always look for action oriented studies than reading theories of past. This is evident even from my child age. I love the subjects such as Mathematics, Science, Computers. But I used to hate subjects like History, Geography, Civics. My feeling was that those subjects were of less importance when compared with the former. Honey & Mumford (1992) explains this act as a Pragmatist approach.

If this is the case then how did I prosper during my peak times? The answer has been given by again Honey & Mumford (1992) simply by mapping my secondary character to a reflector. Being reflector I gained the advantage of being cautious, thoughtful and listen attentively. So this explains what I do in peak times. I used to listen very attentively to what others say and my inner brain works on the thoughts that it assimilate due to the unconscious learning. So I have been dependent on the person who delivers the speech to learn. If the person is good at capturing the attention of listener I would have gained a lot of knowledge. This explains that why I was excelling in some of the subject maters and lagging in others.

What should I do now to show a steady performance? The answer becomes simple. I have to be proactive in learning. This is possible provided I understand the nature of reflector and try to utilize the secondary characters such as cautiousness, thoughtfulness and listening. The thoughtfulness needs to link what i study with the real time action for me to understand the real essence of the theme. This comes from my primary role of pragmatist. Thus combining these two will help me in excelling myself in coming up with a better performance.

Just a thought had I been taught this way I might have performed even better. What our education system could do to help young students is not to change the basic structure. But they have to focus towards the teachers. They have to illuminate teachers regarding the behaviour of students and people in generic. It is time to focus towards the psychological factors and make teachers understand the student psychology. Teachers cannot follow the same style of teaching to all students. They have to be aware of different methodologies that they can make use of in teaching a particular student based on his behaviour and learning style. If we are successful in implement this in school level itself we will be able to produce competitive young brains of future who will be performing good in both the academics and in their profession. It will reduce the effort and cost being put in an individual at a later part of life mostly after undergraduation. This will reduce our % of population who remain non-employable due to the lack of basic skills.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A thorough self introspection and introspection of the system. Often the students are not considered as the active partcipants in the learning process and informed of the purpose and significance of the subjects taught.
Do continue to reflect on these topics

Subbiah said...

The role of teachers is emphasized in significant way. Yet the country needs more real teachers in the Higher education than in schools. Our country, atleast Tamilnadu faces this threat mainly in dealing the youngsters who come out school with big dreams but shattered by the higher education system especially in engineering colleges.

Sundara said...

In western countries the Teachers/Lecturers who enter into education system do so after gaining more exposure through working in private or public concerns. But does this happens in India? We are more important in financial benefits and are not interested in transferring what we learn through experience. We seldom feel the importance of transferring those knowledge we gain through working.

ANIT BIJU said...

i hv some points to come in. i am from a top grade institution from india. the student teacher gap s ever extending from schools to colleges.

lets hv a look at my department. for exapmle, if taken a lecturer's profile, his graduation s from a coll much lower than de coll he s workin nw, wen i personally interrogated some of them, de answer given by them was "unable to get into gud companies"..this s de situation in majority of de colls. most of de teachers r not qualified and the institutions are postin them for cost cutting.

All we need is change